Spirituality Display Enrollment

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
     Nichole
    Participant

T, what’s the news on the Gold Baller Quran?

Can everyone please summarize a list of what you are bringing so I can fill in the gaps? Does anyone have a menorah? If not, I’m going to order one.

I’ve got remote control candles, salt lamps, essential oils, table throws, crystals, sage, incense, books, and spiritual icons and statues including, but not limited to, multiple Buddha statues, Ganesh, and angels. What else do we need??

Thanks, team!!

Nichole
    Participant

Thanks, Jeff. To be clear, my intention is to set up the basic foundation (table placement, lighting, table throws, etc.) so they are ready when the rest of the team arrives with their personal items to contribute, which I would love support in setting up as a team. My assumption is that we are sitting at 8:00 for clearing. I don’t want to be rushed for time, I would like to be relaxed and thoughtful about it.

I would love to have a spirit animal retrieval workshop!! That sounds super fun. And I want to hear more about the salmon and what that means.

Charlie, I could almost picture your childhood self reading your story. Thanks for sharing.

Juliana, thanks for buddying with me!

T, please deliver us the Gold Baller Quran. And let’s keep that in mind for a potential band name.

Jeff Miller
    Participant

Hey Team,

Thank you Nichole for your vision and who you are being around the spiritual display. I am enrolled in what your vision is, except you coming early and setting up prior to when the team arrives. Is there a way where we can all support the table being set up as a team after our morning huddle?

My spiritual journey didn’t start until I was 18. At 6 years old my parents sat me down and asked if I would like to go to church, synagogue, or play sports on Sunday. I replied with sports and they never brought it up again. It wasn’t until I was at a low point in my life that I picked up the Bible and read it from front to cover in 2 months. That started my discovery that led me to be baptized on July 9, 2009. I identify as a Christian, but for myself my relationship with God is the most important. It has been really cool to have my kids involved in Church and Church activities, since I did not have that experience. What I love about the Essence of most of the major religions, is that at their core, they are very similar. All of them encompass some form of the Golden Rule, which is still aligned (in theory) with society. I can go on and on about this topic, but I will stop now.

I will bring some Christian items as well as some of the books I read in my Journey like God is Not Real.

Charlie Horn
    Participant

Nichole thanks for creating an enrollment that has me thinking and engaged about what is in it for me. I have a wood carved mask from a trip I took to the Mayan ruins of coba chichen itza and talum. I am going to ask my mom for her bible as well. Thanks for the Pinterest link. I loved the ideas you have and I have a really good friend that creates living succulent art work and I am going to see if he will make us a small piece.

Thanks also for the invitation to share our experiences around spirituality and for sharing yours. Thank you Brittany and T for sharing too. I am looking forward to hearing from everyone.

I grew up in a Christian household. I went to a Christian private school until I was hurled into the public school system in the 8th grade. Before that abrupt change I went to church every Sunday, chapel on fridays and awana (awana was a church group for kids where we memorized and studied bible verses and played games) on Wednesday nights. For me religion holds access to so many great ways to meet the needs of the human spirit like unconditional love, forgiveness, gratitude and it has a component of control through fear of the devil and hell. So much shame and lack of tolerance for those who oppose certain views. I remember not being on the same page with these lack of tolerance views. It was not natural for me to see the way the Christian church I grew up in had so much hate and rejection of other humans who didn’t share the same beliefs “we” did. I remember being so afraid to do anything wrong for fear of going to hell when I was a kid. In school I remember getting a spanking in front of my 4th grade class for not doing my homework. I was mortified and beyond embarrassed. Spankings were a regular thing in my school. I’m having a physical reaction in my body right now just thinking about all the times I watched my friends have to get spankings. I remember one time after getting spanked and having to take a paper to the principals office on the way back to class I stood in the parking lot looking at the exit to the street thinking I could just leave and walk home to escape having to go back into the classroom where i would have to face everyone and the fact that I was somehow bad or wrong that I needed to take three direct hits to the cheeks.

I went to Jerusalem a couple years ago and it was really cool to be there and walk where Jesus walked. For me It made me realize that the Bible and the Christian way of believing is just one way humans could relate to this uniquely human experience of feeling connected by a higher power. It’s also just one of the first recorded transcripts that survived to today. I’m really curious why Jesus the son of god came to Jerusalem. How many other Jesus’s have been where the record keeping didn’t survive to today? I was in Jerusalem with a Christian group and at one point the pastor of the group I went with said something along the lines of here is the proof that our god is the god because Jesus was raised from the gave and that is why every other religion is wrong. In that moment it was like a sucker punch to the gut. I was all happy and on board with the love and community and connection and forgiveness and then boom!! Everyone else sucks and is going to hell if they don’t believe in Jesus and “our” god.

My belief of spirituality is simple. We all have this deeper naturally pure pristine core self. This subconscious primal part of us that is taking in huge volumes of information every second that we are completely unaware of in our conscious minds. From that place we get these gut feelings these connections we feel and when we release our defenses and let go of our guard our walls we have a deeper access and connection to the inner beings of others. This connection is what I consider spirituality. When essence meets essence. Pure unconditional love. It’s a human need to be attached from the place of survival and this attachment can’t be felt any deeper than from the expression of true unconditional love. It soothes it heals it lets us know we are safe and taken care of the same way we needed to feel when we were babies until we could go out and survive on our own. It’s the humanity in us all to be accepted and loved and simply put without it we die. Especially back in the day when if we weren’t accepted and loved and “in” the tribe or family we would be outcast to fend for ourselves……and die. I love the movie the croods. Anything new is dangerous and must be destroyed!! Lol. This way of looking at spirituality is very logical and hopeless actually and it is also my belief that “life” all life came from somewhere. What or where that was is the eternal question for me and everyone else actually. The big man in the clouds was a novel and practical idea for people to hang onto but now we have neuro science and can study and measure the human experience to some degree to make sense of it all in how the brain operates. So there is evidence of the different states we can be in and how the mind body connection can lend to experiences of god or oneness. We can measure these things now so it isn’t as mystical and our experiences can be logically explained to some degree. But there is no answer for where life can from. Why and how. So from that place the power of the universe is still the mystery and the connection we all share through living and being a part of life on this planet not knowing if it exists anywhere else in this seemingly endless expanse of space up in the sky we can only see when the sun sets. As I lay here tonight my belief is that there is a higher power or purpose or will or energy or god. I believe we are all connected through This insanely unique gift of life that is a massive cyclical,swinging of the pendulum, ebb and flowing of birth and death that is happening every moment. This planet is living and breathing on a macro scale and we are all a integral part of the whole. So unique and perfect in a sea of masses. How can that be if not for some greater intelligence. Even if that intelligence is simply the miracle of life, I am still in awe of that being the greater power the source the one the universe god. Regardless, at our core we all crave and need unconditional love and acceptance to be filled up, soothed, complete safe. What a worthy cause to live for.

AND…….Brittany,T how great would it be for all of us to have a ceremonial experience with Brittany’s sister leading us. I am so enrolled in that happening. Please let’s make it happen on Friday. I volunteer my house and would love to host. And if not this let’s make something else happen that would generate spirituality in our beings going into the weekend.

Tiffany Turner
    Participant

Britt I’d LOVE to support getting Chelsea to SD a day early to lead us in a spiritual exercise. I’ll reach out to support.

I think my story and relationship with religion is a familiar one, the history of it isn’t special or unique. What I see to own for myself here is that I keep saying I’m up for a breakthrough in spirituality, and I continue to do nothing different. When it arrives to me, in the format of a Muslim Lyft driver, or a Jewish relative that I’m sitting next to at a bridal shower, I’m really into the convo and holding space, but I’m not actively seeking it out.

Where I have seen a shift in my relationship to spirituality this year, is in my understanding of it. I no longer hold Religiousness and Belief to be the same. I think a lot of people pray, or go to church, but they don’t genuinely believe with every ounce of themselves that a divine being has a plan for them, regardless how life goes. And what I want is that unshakable knowing that it’s so much bigger than me, and that every part and piece of my process is celebratory simply because it is, and because it’s divinity on earth.

Britt, my family is Quran rich, so let me see if I can snag a baller giant, gold one from my grandmas before you buy one. If I can, it will hold deep history having been one of few possessions that immigrated from Iran with my moms fam.

I’m looking forward to bringing a lot of living things – plants, moss balls (which are a form of plant), pictures of Jack. The closest I’ve ever been to spirit, has been at an ashram in India, in my marriage, and in my home (though my home is significantly weaker connection than India and Jack). So that’s what I got!

Brittany Cotton
    Participant

Wow Nichole!

You have such a beautiful way of sharing that has me right there with you. I got goosebumps when I read the part about Indonesia.

I am so excited for this weekend! I think it is so powerful. In my participant year my sister came as my first guest. It was so cool to have her there. She is a spiritual healer, shaman, coach, etc. And it allowed us to have such an amazing conversation about this work, her work, the connection, etc. She leads Spirit Animal retrieval workshops, where she trains people how to retrieve spirit animals for others– T and I were talking about how cool it would be if she came down the Friday before the module and we all did this as a team. If people are interested I am happy to share more and see what we can create.

I grew up in a Jewish house hold, and freaking hated it. There were times I enjoyed the services, but I would never tell my parents that. I had a lot of attitude if I was “made to do” something. The deal was that once we had our Bat Mitzvah’s it was our choice if we ever wanted to go back… I have not. Not because I don’t believe in Judaism or like it, but my connection and relationship with Spirit and God is totally through the Universe, versus an organized religion. Other than Judaism being in our household, I would say I was also raised with Shamanism. My parents best friend while I was growing up was a Shaman and my parents did a ton of energy/spirit work with her. My sophomore year of high school we went to Peru for a few months and went to every sacred Incan site with a Shaman and did rituals. My spirit animal growing up was a Giraffe, and as of a few years ago it was a Salmon. The day the Salmon was brought back to me was so powerful/magical. I definitely want to share with you all about that, but I have to run! Another time.

Like Nichole I have been to many many churches, mosques, etc all over the world. And I’m always in awe of their beauty and energy. And its a very similar experience I get to being alone in nature. My family has thousands of acres in Oregon. Before Ashland was settled many of the surrounding tribes held ceremony and rituals on the land. We have a labyrinth and many other sacred spaces, that people come from all over to visit.

I will bring different items and books. I will also buy the Koran and bring that!

I am fully enrolled in what you are bringing and who you are being about it!

Sabrina Pratt
    Participant

I am enrolled in your vision, Nichole. I had a fun time checking out the Pinterest board you shared- thanks for taking this leadership on!

I would like to share more in a longer post at a later date about my own spiritual journey. I am happy to contribute ceremonial items from my vision quest and my practices on the Lakota Red Road which include sweat lodges. I also have shamanic items to bring and share.

More soon!

-Sabs

Juliana Sih
    Participant

I can buddy with you on this. I am the hotel liaison so I can support in getting to the room as well.

I am going to come back to respond to what spirituality means to be. This year has been the “most spiritual” year I’ve had and haven’t yet had a chance to think back at all that I got from it. What a great opportunity to think about this, thanks!

Nichole
    Participant

Hi Team!

I got the COS from Jeff for Spirituality Display:

Coordinate items from all team members to decorate room with items representing spirituality including: books, table throws, talismans, candles, statues, etc. Include as many religions as possible. Feel free to have the team put it what spirituality means to them and not only what it means in general. Additionally you will lead decorating the actual table in the room at the module. 

I would like to add some things/tweak the COS a little…

Have a discussion with team about spirituality and what it means to us. Share our experiences with the spirituality module and what came up for us. Create a space that is conducive to participants experiencing a range of emotions from nostalgia to pride to passion to anger. Through that lens, thoughtfully coordinate items from all team members to decorate room with items representing spirituality including: books, table throws, talismans, candles, statues, etc. Include as many religions as possible. Decorate the table and the room to invoke an instant transport into a spiritual place.

To start the discussion, I would love to share my experience with the spirituality module and how it differs from my experience in life. I was resistant to share much that day. I felt like I didn’t know what to say, and I felt weird that my mom was in the room knowing how much she wants me to be a christian. My grandmother’s dying wish was for me to “find Jesus”, as though I don’t know where to find him. I just don’t celebrate or practice religion the way they do. My grandfather was a reverend and he was the most accepting and open minded person I ever knew. He never pressured me to feel one way or another. He encouraged me to decide for myself. He died when I was 24, and my grandma doubled down on her “must find Jesus” pressure and always “praying for me”.

Personally, I am of the belief that God is everywhere and in all of us and is not the Christian representation of God. I believe that all religions basically have the same idea of God but their specific vision of it is manifested in different ways and with different stories. I have spent a lot of my adult life studying religion and visiting various religious monuments around the globe. I have visited the Borobudur Buddhist temple in Indonesia, as well as the Prambanan Hindu temple which is close by. I’ve been to the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi. I’ve been to the Black Abbey in Kilkenny, Ireland. I’ve been to the Sistine Chapel in Rome. A Jain temple in Kerala, India. So many places, I can’t even begin to list them all. I have keepsakes and treasures from each of these places that I can contribute to the display.

One of my favorite–I guess you could call it religious–experiences, was in Jogjakarta, Indonesia. Many people don’t know that Indonesia has the world’s largest population of Muslims. Side note: This is why Indonesia has such a large supply of goat skin leather, due to the sacrifice of goats during the Islamic holiday, Eid al-Adha. Anyway… In predominantly Muslim territories, the call to prayer will be projected by speakers so the entire town/city can hear it. If you’ve never heard it, it sounds sort of like chanting/singing and lasts several minutes. You can hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grM0LVwaFGE. Listen to that and imagine it waking you up every morning at sunrise. And I mean the first glimmer of sunrise which is usually about 4:30 a.m. It also plays four other times throughout the day. No matter where you are–shopping, eating, studying, in a meeting–it will overpower your actions/thoughts and command attention.

The thing I loved about it is that even though I am not Muslim, I still felt called to get up and/or be still and meditate/think/pray. And I knew that everyone else was doing the same thing, in their way. There was something so special about knowing that everyone was doing the same thing at the same time, or thinking of the same thing at the same time. That builds connection between people without having to be under the same roof or singing the same song. It was a really profound experience for me and I can’t think of anywhere else in my life I have had that experience. At least not in a way that is deeply personal versus political or athletic or something.

I did have a similar experience on a visit to Sri Lanka at the Temple of the Tooth. There, we were awakened each morning by the sound of Buddhist monk chanting. But that story winds up with a hilarious twist, which you can read here if you are so inclined (trying not to make this post too long): https://www.facebook.com/nicholemacdonaldfounder/posts/2022895928014154?__tn__=K-R

All this to say… I am fascinated by the impact that religion has on people and love to hear experiences. Please share yours! Also, please take a look at this board I created on Pinterest with the vibe I’m aiming for in the room. Please feel free to add anything you see is missing. I want to make sure we are representing as many religions as possible. Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Jainism, Catholicism, Scientology, what else?? Let me know if you have items that will fit in these categories and what you see to contribute. https://www.pinterest.com/nichole5402/spirituality-display/

I would like to arrive a little early on Saturday to make sure we have time to get the room perfect. Can someone meet me there at 6:30 or put me in touch with someone at the hotel so I can start getting things set up before everyone else gets there? My goal is to have the table throws, lighting, and foundational basics set up by 7:00 so when you all arrive it’s ready for your items to be placed on the table, and then I will work with a buddy to finalize the arrangements.

Thoughts? Who would like to be my buddy?

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
©2021 Accomplishment Coaching . All Rights Reserved.
NEW: Accomplishment Coaching Scholarship Fund
This is default text for notification bar